The question is misleading because Islam is against terrorism and hence cant produce any terrorists. However there are few Muslims who CLAIM to follow Islam & indulge in terrorist activities but in reality such people lack knowledge of Islam and adherence to Islamic principles and are very few compared to global Muslim population of more than 1 Billion.
These terrorists who happen to be Muslims maybe associated with some terrorist organizations which are led by wicked people trying to achieve some personal or political ends using the religion as a tool to gather mass support. Most of the terrorists are young, foolish and brainwashed into thinking they are doing something good as they lack knowledge of Islamic religion.
Many people provide examples of terrorist attacks carried out by terror groups like ISIS. Again terrorist organizations like ISIS, Al Qaeda etc. are in reality anti-Islamic and all leading scholars and intellectuals of Islam have denounced /condemned such groups.
What contemporary Islamic Scholars have said about terrorism and ISIS and their methodologies:
So we should trust that the Muslim scholars and intellectuals have more knowledge of Islam than the terrorists in understanding, following and implementing it in their lives. Hence if we believe in this propaganda that Islam promotes terrorism, it would mean that we are playing into the hands of these terrorists, hatemongers and islamophobes as this is what they want us to believe.
Just by shouting Allahu Akbar does not make a person muslim OR islamic
In fact the characteristics of the khwaariji (terrorists in Islamic parlance) was foretold by prophet saws more than 1400 years ago and in the words of prophet saws:
- From their (khwaarijis/terrorists) attributes is their outward portrayal of righteousness and piety while concealing corruptive beliefs inside. [The Prophet (salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said:]
- One of you would belittle his own prayer when compared to their prayer and his fasting compared to their fasting.
- They will recite the Qur`an, but it will not go beyond their throats. They will pass through the religion as an arrow passes through a target.
Some other narrations of prophet saws with respect to khwaarijis/terrorists are mentioned below:
Many authentic hadeeth from the prophet (salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) condemning them have come in ten different forms of narration like what al-Khalal narrated from Imam Ahmad that he said:
- “The Khawaarij are wicked people, and I don’t know of any people on earth more evil than they.“
- From the attributes of the Khawaarij are their ignorance of the Book and the Sunnah and their wicked interpretations of their meanings just as the Prophet (salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: They read the Qur`an, thinking it is in support of them while it is actually against them.
- Another attribute of the Khawaarij is that they are as the Prophet (salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) described them: Young in age, having reckless and deficient intellects.
- Imam Ahmad, Ibn Majah, and al-Hakim recorded a Ḥadith from Ibn Abi Awfa, and Ahmad and al-Hakim also recorded it from Abu Umamah that the Prophet (salallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: The Khawaarij are the dogs of Hell.
FYI, the khwarijis appeared during the time of 3rd caliph and They (Khawaarij) collectively [declared] that both ‘Uthman and later ‘Alee (the 3rd and 4th caliphs of Islam) were disbelievers as [they declared] other companions. [Aoodhoobillaah!]
So this is their height of ignorance – so no sane person can attribute these khwaarijis/terrorists with Islam based upon the proofs and references mentioned above.
There is a sher (poetry) by Allama Iqbal (poet in indian subcontinentt 60–70 years back) which seems apt :
Allah se kary dor to taleem bhi fitna,
amlak bhi aulad bhi jageer bhi fitna
na haq ke liye uthe to shamsheer bhi fitna
shamsheer hi kia narae takbeer bhi fitna
This is a matter of perception which is created by the media and the exposure it gives to different subjects. Like for example if any terrorist who happens to have a Muslim name commits any crime then it is repeated across the media making sensational headlines, however if 1000+ scholars in India give a verdict against terrorists for example and warn the Muslim youth against them, it hardly makes news. In fact Muslims are victims and are at receiving end of majority of the violence if you go through the stats for past few decades.
Also those who comment that terrorists are mostly muslims – they need to first define the word terrorism – and then apply the term in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine, Syria etc. and test the definition against each player in the conflict. Only then he can make objective assessment of the global situation.
Lastly, would like to mention that Islam means peace which is opposite of violence.